Monday, January 14, 2013

Yaadein Radio Ceylon ki........

Well the post title of course is my filminess coming out - phoot phoot ke bollywood ka pyaar nikal raha hai :d

The genesis of this post was a rather long drive back from work last week. Everything conspired to make me think of what I am going to write now. It was one of those rare days when traffic was worse than most days - and by Mumbai standards that is saying a lot for sure. It sadly also had to be the day when my pen drive with my dump of music refused to work. It just got stuck on 1 song and refused to play anything else. And my car had come back from servicing so all my CDs were at home. So mudde ki baat yeh hai ki I had no choice but to turn on the radio. And its not that I don't listen to radio, just that the RJs and ads can sometimes suck all the happiness out of listening to music.

But this evening was quite amazing........for a change the songs were great..........mix of new songs and some old favourites. The nicest part was that the long drive also made it possible for me to sit and just marvel at "radio listening" vs listening to songs on a pen drive. If one was to somehow tune out the excessive and pointless and mostly mindless bantering of the RJs, one would find listening to radio very very entertaining.

For me the joy of a song being sprung upon you out of the blue is priceless. The feeling of discovery is absolutely joyful. Its almost as if one pauses for 5 seconds everytime a new song starts playing to just absorb the beauty of that moment and music and the surprises it is throwing at you. Also, the fact that it isnt in your control. What music can you listen to makes it even more enjoyable.

Of course for emotional freaks like me it also takes a new meaning. Songs from the past throw up random memories which then means that instead of listening to the music my mind is basking in the beauty of those memories and moments. Reliving them to the last detail. And since it happens within the confines of my car it gives me the opportunity to either laugh uncontrollably or to even feel moistness in my eyes and sometimes sheer irritation because of the memory the song has raked up.

It also brings back associations with radio and all the beautiful times I have spent with it. Loooong long time ago (15 years) I still vividly remember that FM Rainbow was our only source of listening to english songs as computers and internet were not really there. And all us friends used to religiously listen to that channel in the evening and then our school recess was dedicated to discussing the songs we nad heard. Oh god we were lame........and the worst part was that I didnt even like that music back then and used to hear it only to be able to have something to say during recess time......

Then there used to be the ride to college with one of my closest friend.......and we used to listen to radio a loooot and weirdly i remember the songs which were playing while our most engrossing concersations happened. I remember the conversations also verbatim almost but the weird thing is that i also remember the song. I also remember how when we argued or fought both of us would slip into silence and humming of the song playing and the fights would just end without ever coming up again......

Then there were these innumerable drives from godrej colony to godrej office where I had the remote of my friends car in my hand. And i had a free reign to play whatever channel i wanted toand somehow the channel surfing was an integral part of those drives e en though both of us always had sooooooo much to say so much so that we needed go fix times to finish the conversation later.....

And amidst all such beautiful memories somehow i have outgrown listening to radio.......but whenever i still go back to it - i cant help but marvel at how much fun it still is. Its almost like playing snakes and ladders or ludo again after years


No comments: